Thursday, March 30, 2017

Nippy Weather Sewing Plans

Nippy Weather Sewing Plans


(image source: Oliver + S)

I usually love the gradual creeping in of Autumn, with a little nip in the air and the beautiful changes of colour all around. However, right now in South East UK the summer has definitely sodded off and Autumn has crept in with a damp, soggy, lack of ceremony. Still, we can always cheer ourselves up by making a fabulous, useful new handmade garment! Today Id like to share with you what I intend to rustle up over the next few months.

The reason I havent called this post Autumn/Winter Sewing Plans, is that I expect all these garments will see wear throughout the year, not just in A/W. All the pieces Im planning should be layer-able and  to be worn in a variety of outfit combos. Im all about maximum wardrobe versatility! Plus, if youre not from or living in the UK, Ill let you into a little secret: the weather here isnt really that bad. The reason why British people are known for moaning so much about it is its unpredictability. MI5 may well be onto me now.... Most other parts of the globe get way more extreme weather of some form or another, but generally most places know what to expect for their season or climate. Here, you can plan a BBQ in July and have it ruined by rain, or you can plan a Novembers day at the indoor soft-play or cinema and find it deserted because its suddenly turned bright and lovely outside. Generally, the rule of thumb is: if its nice GET THE HELL OUTSIDE, it may cloud over by the afternoon. 

When it comes to sewing, I am reluctant to state my intended projects as I hate to be tied to my plans, even if its only myself who will be holding me to account. However, Im super excited (at the moment) about each of the following, perhaps even enough to see them all through to completion! Im keeping my sewing projects for Dolores completely spontaneous and commitment-free, so hopefully I can it both ways (planned and unplanned) for a while. Heres what Ive been cooking up...


TOPS


(image source: Wiksten)

This will be my third attempt at the Wiksten Tova Top/Dress pattern. I wear my grey dress (now worn as a tunic) regularly, and Id love to have another shorter and lighter weight version. Ive got some gorgeously soft light-weight denim/cotton from the Fabric Godmother lined up and Im going to aim for a super neat finish as I want this garment to be something I keep for years and years that improves with wear. Alright, this wont be a nippy weather garment exactly, but layered with a vest or jersey top underneath and a cardi on top, itll still count! 




I still love my 1960s Breton top (pictured above) sooo much, its almost weird. Its super comfy, but also feels fairly stylish. I plan to push this magic combo further still by making an even more casual version with some stripy French terry that I was kindly given by the Fabric Godmother. 


CARDIGAN


(image source: MIY Collection)

Having recently started teaching at Wendy Wards MIY Workshop in Brighton, Im becoming better acquainted with her products and I really fancy having a bash at the MIY Collection Brightside Shrug. This is a similar shape to a lovely emerald knit shrug that I scored in a charity shop that I wear quite a lot, and something similar in a different colour would be really useful.


SKIRT



My first and second versions of Gerties easy knit skirt pattern have been real successes, and I like wearing both more than any other skirt I have ever owned. Im hoping Ive got some more suitable knit fabric lurking in my stash for another (hopefully black...).  


OUTERWEAR

(image source: Oliver + S)

Ive had the Liesl + Co Woodland Stroll Cape (pictured above and at the top of this post) Pinned on my Sewing Patterns I Want Pinterest board for yonks. A while back I was looking at a subsection of my fabric stash that I usually pretend doest exist when I realised that a length of check wool in there might just be big enough for this cute cape. Ive had the pattern printed and cut out for months, time to attack!



(image source: Papercut Patterns)

The Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket is the most recent addition to my sewing plans. I think this pattern is hasnt been out for long, and when I saw it, I knew it was the pattern I had been waiting for to make a much-needed and longed for rain jacket. Thanks to my sponsor Sewbox.co.uk, a copy is winging its way to me as I type. I cannot wait to get cracking on this one, and show you the amazing fabric I have in store for it! Until its finished, Im going to keep it a secret....


What about you? Do you have a few plans in the pipeline? Do you feel like me, in that you are often reluctant to share your plans out loud in case you change your mind? 

Available link for download