Monday, January 30, 2017

New Draft Luck and Credit in the Space of Reasons

New Draft Luck and Credit in the Space of Reasons


Greetings: Below is a link to a rough draft of a paper Ive recently written on McDowells epistemology; the paper charges his account with failing two anti-luck desiderata.


Warning: I am not entirely satisfied with this paper; thanks to some recent suggestions, I am aware that my section on perceptual-recognitional abilities needs amended. (Also, I need to re-think some other claims I make). Ive decided to post it nonetheless, in case others wish to consider the nascent arguments and/or or provide any comments.

Here is the abstract, and below is a link to the paper:

ABSTRACT: This essay will advance the view that the McDowellian theory of knowledge fails to satisfy the requirements of an adequate anti-luck epistemology. Section 1 presents two twin anti-luck desiderata that, I shall argue, an account must accomodate: (i) If S knows p, then S could not have easily been wrong that p; (ii) If S knows p, then S is credit-worthy for her true belief that p. In Section 2, I outline the salient differences between McDowell’s iconoclastic anti-luck strategy and traditional strategies. Section 3 offers reasons for thinking that McDowell fails to satisfy what I have presented as the first anti-luck desideratum; section 4 offers reasons for thinking that McDowell fails the second desideratum.


http://staff.stir.ac.uk/adam.carter/documents/luckandcreditWednesdayevening14feb.pdf

Available link for download